Gender Equality

Gender Equality

Gender equality is achieved when all genders enjoy the same rights and opportunities across all sectors of society, including economic participation and decision-making, and when the different behaviors, aspirations, and needs of all genders are equally valued and favored. 

Women Deserve Equal Pay

Women on average are only paid 77% of what men are paid. This is despite the passage of the Equal Pay Act and the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.

  • The WAGE Project looked at full-time workers, they estimated that women with a high school diploma lose as much as $700,000 over a lifetime of work, women with a college degree lose $1.2 million and professional school graduates may lose up to $2 million. These inequities are enormously detrimental to women and their families, wage inequities follow women into their retirement years, reducing their Social Security benefits, pensions, savings and other financial resources.
  • A study by the American Association of University Women (AAUW) examined how the wage gap affects college graduates. One year after graduating college, women are paid on average only 82% of their male counterparts’ wages, and during the next 10 years, women’s wages fall even further behind, dropping to only 69% of men’s earnings ten years after college. According to the report, “even after researchers controlled for age, education, hours worked beyond full time, industry sector, marital status, and presence of children in the household, female managers still earned just 81% of what male managers did, leaving an unexplained 19% pay gap,” and observed, “women continue to earn less than men do, even when they make the same choices.”

End Violence Against Women

The Progressive Party of Iowa supports swift action to end violence against women. Violence against women has many interrelated aspects, domestic violence; sexual assaults; sexual harassment; hate crimes across lines of gender, sexuality and race; and the violence of poverty emphasized by the radical Republican Party’s attacks on poor women and children, all of which are a result of society’s attitudes toward women and need to hold power over people.