Senator Bernie Sanders is serving his second term in the U.S. Senate. He won his last election with 71%. Bernie has served 16 years in the U.s. House, and he is the longest serving independent in our nation’s history.
Bernie Sanders served four terms as Mayor of Burlington, Vermont and he was first elected in 1981.
In the 60s, as a student and activist, Bernie was a front-line champion for equality. He was even arrested while protesting the segregation of schools, he organized against segregated housing in Chicago, and he marched on Washington, D.C. with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Bernie Sanders is one of our nation’s most persistent voices defending the interests of the working class and standing up to the excesses of corporate America. He is also widely considered the most progressive member of the U.S. Senate.
In fact, inequality is worse now than at any other time in American history since the 1920s. … We live in one of the wealthiest countries on earth – and yet children go hungry, veterans sleep out on the streets and senior citizens cannot afford their prescription drugs. This is what a rigged economic system looks like. – Sen. Bernie Sanders
Bernie Sanders understands that the rich in our nation are continuing to get richer when income and wealth inequality has reached astronomical levels.
Bernie Sanders wants to “break up the largest financial institutions in the country,” who destroyed our nations’ economy.
Bernie Sanders has been a lifelong supporter of LGBT rights. During his first term as Mayor of Burlington, Vermont he signed the city’s first ever Pride Parade proclamation. Later as Mayor, he signed a city ordinance banning housing discrimination.
Bernie Sanders voted against the discriminatory anti-LGBT “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy in 1993 and the so-called “Defense of Marriage Act” in 1996. Then he fought to repeal “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.”
Bernie Sanders understands that in many states you can get married in the morning and in the afternoon get fired for putting up a picture of your partner. He knows that in many states you can still be denied housing or public accommodations just for being transgender or gender non-conforming. Bernie believes that this is unacceptable and must change.
As Senator, Bernie Sanders is a cosponsor of the Equality Act, which would add sexual orientation and gender identity to the 1964 Civil Rights Act. He has even kept a lifetime perfect 100% score from the Human Rights Campaign and has consistently supported legislation that would guarantee LGBT Americans would be treated as equal citizens.
We at Progressive Equality Values Iowa, hereby endorse Bernie Sanders for the Democratic nomination.
Check out Bernie’s positions
- Introduced a budget amendment to raise the minimum wage.
- Introduced the “Workplace Democracy Act” to strengthen the role of unions and the voices of working people on the job.
Jobs & Trade
- Opposed bad trade deals such as NAFTA, CAFTA, permanent normal trade relations (PNTR) with China, and the TPP.
- Introduced legislation to invest $1 trillion over five years to modernize our country’s physical infrastructure, creating and maintaining at least 13 million good-paying jobs.
- Introduced the “Too Big to Fail, Too Big to Exist” Act, that would break up the big banks and prohibit any too-big-to-fail institutions from accessing the Federal Reserve’s discount facilities or using insured deposits for risky activities.
- Cosponsor of the Elizabeth Warren/John McCain bill to reinstate Glass-Steagall.
Money in Politics
- Voted for the DISCLOSE Act to shine a light on the exorbitant amounts of dark money in politics.
- Introduced the Democracy Is For People constitutional amendment to overturn the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision.
- Promised that any Sanders Administration Supreme Court nominee will commit to overturning the Citizens United decision.
Real Family Values
- Cosponsored Sen. Patty Murray’s Healthy Families Act, it would guarantee seven days of paid sick leave per year for workers.
- Cosponsored Sen. Kirsent Gilibrand’s FAMILY Act, it would guarantee every employee twelve weeks of paid family and medical leave.
- Make tuition free at public colleges and universities
- Stop the federal government from profiting off of student loans
- Allow students to refinance student loans at today’s low interest rate.
- Allow students to use need-based financial aid and work study programs
- Paid for by imposing a tax on Wall Street speculators.
- Led the opposition to the Keystone XL pipeline
- Introduced the gold standard for climate change legislation with Sen. Barbara Boxer to tax carbon and methane emissions.
- Secured $3.2 billion in the economic stimulus package for grants to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, in a program that has funded upgrades for more than 86,000 buildings and installed more than 9,500 solar energy systems.